As a follow-up to today’s Board of Police Commissioners’ meeting, HRM Partners in Policing are releasing the results of their 2012 citizen satisfaction survey which is conducted annually as part of Corporate Research Associates’ (CRA) second quarter Urban Report.
CRA conducted the survey with a representative sample of HRM citizens from May 2 to 8, 2012. Results are based on a sample of 400 adult residents in HRM and are accurate to within plus or minus 4.9 percentage points, 95 out of 100 times. The results are as follows:
- 87% are mostly or completely satisfied with the quality of policing in their community.
- 86% are mostly or completely satisfied with police visibility and presence.
- 87% are somewhat or completely confident police will respond to emergencies in a timely and efficient manner.
- 82% are mostly or completely satisfied with the peace and order in local neighbourhoods
- 87% feel very or completely safe in the community where they live
- 89% feel very or completely safe in the local areas where they go for shopping, recreation and work.
HRM Partners in Policing are encouraged by the positive results and believe our crime reduction strategy is making a difference. We continue to focus on hot spots policing; deploy our Guns & Gangs Team, Quick Response and Street Crime Units to target the criminal element; monitor those who are on court imposed conditions; and put officers in close contact with the community to address crime as well as quality-of-life issues.