The Halifax Regional Municipality returning officer has officially closed the books on the 2016 municipal and school board elections.
In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, the returning officer spent time on Tuesday and Wednesday completing the Official Addition. Official Addition is a meeting with interested candidates and their representatives, to review the results of their election, poll by poll by reading the entries contained in each poll book and tallying those numbers. After the appointments, time was spent to review and authenticate the accuracy of Saturday’s general election, and produce the Official Results.
At the conclusion of this process the returning officer is now able to report the candidates with the most total votes:
- Mayor: Mike Savage (62,096 votes)
- District 1: Steve Streatch (2,245 votes)
- District 2: David Hendsbee (3,266 votes)
- District 3: Bill Karsten (acclaimed)
- District 4: Lorelei Nicoll (acclaimed)
- District 5: Sam Austin (2,372 votes)
- District 6: Tony Mancini (3,565 votes)
- District 7: Waye Mason (2,962 votes)
- District 8: Lindell Smith (3,418 votes)
- District 9: Shawn Cleary (3,740 votes)
- District 10: Russell Walker (2,027 votes)
- District 11: Stephen Adams (3,613 votes)
- District 12: Richard Zurawski (1,607 votes)
- District 13: Matt Whitman (4,090 votes)
- District 14: Lisa Blackburn (2,062 votes)
- District 15: Steve Craig (acclaimed)
- District 16: Tim Outhit (acclaimed)
- District 1: Bridget Ann Boutilier (2,711 votes)
- District 2: Nancy Jakeman (3,653 votes)
- District 3: Gin Yee (acclaimed)
- District 4: Cindy Littlefair (acclaimed)
- District 5: Suzy Hansen (3,231 votes)
- District 6: Linda MacKay (3, 272 votes)
- District 7: Jennifer Raven (3,793 votes)
- District 8: Dave Wright (acclaimed)
- African Nova Scotian representative: Archy Beals (1,511 votes)
- Conseil Scolaire Acadien Provincial representative: Lucien Comeau (1,276 votes), Marthe Craig (898 votes), and André Surrette (924 votes)
The total number of votes cast in the municipality was 91,574, or 31.77% of eligible voters.
In 2012, 37.07 per cent of eligible voters cast ballots.
Official results for all races and districts have been posted and are available at www.halifax.ca/election/pastelections/documents/161015electionresults.pdf.
Source: Media Release