It has been almost 6 months since my parental leave ended and a common question I get is, would I do it again, meaning be a stay at home dad?
The answer without even thinking about it would be, yes!
Why, you ask? Well, as they say in the Lego Movie, everything is awesome.
Here are 5 reason why I would go back to staying home with the kids if the opportunity presented itself again.
1. You get to see and experience so much when it comes to watching your kids grow. Now this might be a bigger deal in the early years, but I would guess even when the kids are older, there are things you get to be a part of that would not be true if you were at work. One thing I have noticed since being back at work is the small amount of time you get to see your kids in their element. Most weeknights, everyone is tired, everything is rushed and bedtime comes so fast.
2. I fully enjoy managing the house. The laundry, taking the kids where they need to be, the cooking and whatever else needs to be done. Sure they are chores, but I certainly don’t mind doing them. Again, since being back at work, I do miss getting to cook as much as I used to. Of course this includes a lot of playtime and coming up with fun things for the kids to do other than watching screens.
3. I am not my career. Yes, I enjoy my job and what I do, but it does not define me. Being a good dad and husband ranks much higher to me that where I am on the so-called corporate ladder. Of course we live in a time when two incomes works best, so I don’t see myself giving up the working thing any time soon. My point is, staying home with the kids, would not feel in any way a negative thing or seeing myself as less of a man. Come on, stay at home dads are the rage now right?
4. I grew up with one of my parents around most of the day and I believe, if possible, it is better for the kids. My mom worked part-time so she would be there in the mornings and at lunch. It made life much easier for my sister and I. Again, if possible, it would be great to give that same support to our kids.
5. This kind of goes back to the first point but you only get to see your kids grow up once. I don’t like to miss out. I don’t like to hear about the big moments while I am at work. I am by no means judging others by saying this because we all do what we have to. But when you are a stay at home parent, you get to have the best job going. You get to experience your kids all day long, good and bad and to me that is a time all parents should get to do once.
So how about it? Would you ever want to be a stay at home parent? Please share.
Michael is a marketing manager by day, who has been at the blogging thing for almost a decade. Father of two, husband to one and griller to the Gods. Read more about his parental adventures on his blog, Like A Dad.