On behalf of the staff, many volunteers and legions of artists that we celebrate each year throughout Halifax and the province, the Greater Halifax Arts Coalition (GHAC) would like to congratulate Irving Shipbuilding and its partners, including the province of Nova Scotia, on the successful bid to Build Ships Here!
GHAC is made up of the leaders of 18 professional arts organizations that are dedicated to supporting our community through the presentation of world-class events, bringing the artistic culture of our region to audiences around the world and to creating a vibrant environment to live, work and play.
We recognize that a strong economy is essential to ensuring that those who breathe creative life into communities throughout the region are able to thrive and flourish. The spin-off benefits of this historic contract will impact suppliers, fabricators, other business and the lives of so many around the region – including those in the Arts.
Now, as we all start to gear up for growth and innovation, we see a prominent role for the professional arts community and look forward to playing our part. Nova Scotia’s artists create great work and inspire creativity, innovation, and excellence. Our theatre companies travel the world. Our musicians are broadcast across the country. Our audiences, whether they are long-time Nova Scotian residents or newcomers to our communities, experience a sense of pride and social cohesion as they join us in celebrating the diverse and vibrant lifestyle Nova Scotia has to offer.
Winning this contract means we can look forward to increases in population, disposable income and prosperity throughout the region. We look forward to the future, and working together to see our wonderful city and province and the entire Atlantic region grow and prosper.
Members of the Greater Halifax Arts Coalition:
- Christian Barry, 2b Theatre Company
- Gregor Ash, Atlantic Film Festival Association
- Brookes Diamond, Brookes Diamond Productions
- Heather McGean, Dalhousie Centre for Arts
- Laurie Gillis, Debut Atlantic
- Charlie Rhindress, Eastern Front Theatre
- Jonny Stevens, Halifax Pop Explosion
- Heather Gibson, JazzEast
- Paul Caskey, Live Art Dance
- Jim Morrow, Mermaid Theatre
- Sara Coffin, Mocean Dance
- Scott Long, Music Nova Scotia
- Amy Melmock, Neptune Theatre
- Maggie Stewart, Onelight Theatre
- Elizabeth Murphy, Shakespeare By The Sea
- Erika Beatty, Symphony Nova Scotia
- Christopher Shore, Theatre Nova Scotia
- Susan Leblanc Crawford, Zuppa Theatre
Halifax is a hub for performing arts and culture in the province, and our professional arts organizations are leaders in Atlantic Canada. The 18 professional arts groups in GHAC employ more than 900 people, engage another 2500 volunteers, and perform for more than 933,000 audience member every year. Our cumulative annual budgets are over $22 million, and almost all of this is spent in Nova Scotia.