Nova Scotians are encouraged to practice fire safety this holiday season.
“Decorations, Christmas trees and candles add to the beauty of the holidays, but they can also pose a fire risk,” said Municipal Affairs Minister Zach Churchill. “Using them properly will help keep our families safe.”
Over the holidays and winter months, remember to:
— ensure your home has working smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire extinguishers
— test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors weekly during the holiday season and replace smoke detectors every 10 years
— do not use outdoor lights and cords indoors and turn off the lights when not in use
— only use Canadian Standards Association approved lights, extension cords and non-combustible decorations, check for frayed or cracked wires and broken light sockets
— do not overload plugs and avoid running extension cords over doorsills or under carpets
— always choose a freshly cut tree and make sure the tree is watered every day and never locate your tree near exits or heat sources
— when purchasing an artificial tree, look for the label “fire resistant”
— always stay in the kitchen while cooking, especially if using oil or cooking at high temperatures
— never leave candles unattended. Keep them out of reach of children and pets, and in a sturdy holder. Battery-operated candles and lights are safe and convenient alternatives
“We want all Nova Scotians to have a safe and happy holiday season,” said provincial fire marshal Harold Pothier. “If you’re looking for a practical gift for a loved one, a fire extinguisher, carbon monoxide detector, or a smoke detector always fit the bill.”
For more information on holiday safety tips, visit www.novascotia.ca/dma/firesafety/docs/HolidayFireSafety.pdf.
Source: Media Release