Be Fire Safe This Holiday Season


Nova Scotians are encouraged to practice fire safety this holiday season.

“Decorations, Christmas trees and candles add to the beauty of the holidays, but they can also pose a fire risk,” said Municipal Affairs Minister Zach Churchill. “Using them properly will help keep our families safe.”

Over the holidays and winter months, remember to:
— ensure your home has working smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire extinguishers
— test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors weekly during the holiday season and replace smoke detectors every 10 years
— do not use outdoor lights and cords indoors and turn off the lights when not in use
— only use Canadian Standards Association approved lights, extension cords and non-combustible decorations, check for frayed or cracked wires and broken light sockets
— do not overload plugs and avoid running extension cords over doorsills or under carpets
— always choose a freshly cut tree and make sure the tree is watered every day and never locate your tree near exits or heat sources
— when purchasing an artificial tree, look for the label “fire resistant”
— always stay in the kitchen while cooking, especially if using oil or cooking at high temperatures
— never leave candles unattended. Keep them out of reach of children and pets, and in a sturdy holder. Battery-operated candles and lights are safe and convenient alternatives

“We want all Nova Scotians to have a safe and happy holiday season,” said provincial fire marshal Harold Pothier. “If you’re looking for a practical gift for a loved one, a fire extinguisher, carbon monoxide detector, or a smoke detector always fit the bill.”

For more information on holiday safety tips, visit novascotia.ca/dma/firesafety/docs/HolidayFireSafety.


Source: Release

(Updated) RCMP seeks public’s a­ssistance in locating­ missing man

Be­ Fire Safe This Holid­ay Season