The Oceans Alive movie night and silent auction will take place Friday night at NSCC Waterfront Campus (7 p.m.). Surf Lessons "by donation" scheduled for Saturday have been cancelled due to Hurricane Bill.
Over the next few days, while surfing the powerful swells created by Hurricane Bill, it will help to have a reserve of good karma.
One way to build up that reserve will be to attend the Fourth Annual Oceans Alive charity event this Friday night (August 21) at the Waterfront Campus of the Nova Scotia Community College, located across the street from Dartmouth General Hospital.
Organized by SANS, the event will feature a screening of “The Present”, a surf film created by acclaimed filmmaker Thomas Campbell (The Seedling, Sprout), as well as the latest episode of Surf Donkey, featuring appearances by rockers Matt Mays and Sam Roberts.
The event will also feature a silent auction of the following cool items:
- posters signed by surf legend Gerry Lopez
- signed copies of two books written by surf author Stuart Coleman
- a framed photo print by accomplished surf photographer Yassine Ouhilal
- a night for two in the private room at the Lawrencetown Beach House
- a skybox for a Mooseheads game (Concertia Technologies Inc.)
- 1 1/2-hours of tattoo time at Oceanic Art
- a wetsuit donated by If Only Surf Shop
- as well as merchandise from Kannon Beach, Entity Boardshop and Dacane
There will also be Propeller beer and Red Bull on-hand to quench one’s thirst.
All proceeds from the event will go to the Children’s Wish Foundation of Nova Scotia. The Children’s Wish Foundation works with the community to provide children living with high-risk, life threatening illnesses the opportunity to realize their most heartfelt wish.
So, in return for attending Oceans Alive on Friday and making a contribution, you will receive a healthy dose of good karma which will help you safely enjoy the big waves that will be hitting our shores for the next week or so.<
Doors for Oceans Alive open at 7 p.m.; the films will start around 7:30-7:45. Beer and Bulls sell for $3 each.
Note: Oceans Alive normally includes a day of surf lessons by donation at Lawrencetown Beach. Due to the impending arrival of Hurricane Bill, lessons on Saturday have been cancelled for safety reasons.