I have heard of Hourglass for so long but haven’t really browsed the brand. The Best of Hourglass Set is a perfect way to start.
The set includes Hourglass’ four best selling products, supposedly to help you to achieve flawless looking skin, dramatic lashes, and hydrated lips with shine.
The black glossy sleeve, pulling out to show a tray with cut out slots on the black foam sheet for the four featured products. The individual product packaging shows the same level of luxury. A great holiday gift.
Here are the product breakdown. Reviews and swatches are at the end.
First off, the famous Veil Mineral primer (mini size, 0.33oz/ 10ml), with naturally derived titanium dioxide 2.45% and zinc oxide 4.2% (SPF15), water resistant, fragrance and oil free.
The primer is supposed to minimize the appearance of large pores, fine lines and imperfections. It extends the durability of all makeup applied on top of it and repels water.
Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isosterate, Stearic Acid, Alumina.
Next is the Film Noir Full Spectrum mascara in Onyx (full size 0.35 oz).
The claim: A mascara that delivers volume (thanks to Panthenol), length, separation and conditioning to your lashes (with Beeswax and natural Vegetable oils).
Ingredients: Water, Acrylates/Ethylhexyl Acrylate Copolymer, Paraffin, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Acrylates Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Beeswax, Acacia Senegal Gum, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, etc.
This is the Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip gloss in Ignite (full size 0.17oz ) with unprecedented and multidimensional shine.
Formulated to be pigmented, never sticky or tacky, this water-resistant gloss would fill in fine lines on the lips, making them appear soft and smooth and deliver opulent shine
Ingredients: Octyldodecanol, Diisostearyl Malate, Ethylcellulose, Isostearyl Alcohol, Hydrogenated Dilinoleyl Alcohol, Hydroxystearic Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Silica Silylate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Glycerin, Water, etc.
Lastly, the No. 28 Primer serum (mini size, 0.16oz/ 5ml), a concentrated and intensely hydrating blend of serum and primer.
Formulated with 28 ultra-hydrating ingredients with rejuvenating, priming and anti-aging benefits:
– 14 essential oils soften the complexion: bois de rose, lavender, geranium, petit grain, lemon, rosemary, vanilla, clove, amyris, orange, ylang ylang, eucalyptus, cedar, and rose geranium
– 10 lipid-rich plant oils help hydrate the skin’s underlying layers: hazelnut, kukui nut, rose hip, borage, olive, green tea, cherry pit, sweet almond, jojoba, and evening primrose
– 4 skin-rejuvenating vitamins condition the complexion: A, B5, C and E.
Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Cocoate, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Ceramide 3, Sphingolipids, Jojoba (Simmondsia Chinensis) Oil, Rose Hips Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Sweet Almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) Oil, Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis) Oil, Olive (Olea Europaea) Oil, Hazelnut (Corylus Americana) Oil, etc.
Group pic to show you the applicators up close
The pump in the primer bottle is very effective in dispensing the exact amount you want, depending on the pressure you put on it.
The mascara brush is long and thin, great for my non-existent and straight lashes. The handle is also long and thin, which requires some maneuvering practice
The gloss has a thin doe foot applicator, good for precise application. However, the stopper at the top of the tube is so narrow that it is hard to pull out the applicator sometimes. I’m just afraid I would break it one day trying to get the wand out of the tube.
The serum also comes in a glass bottle, with a paddle-like applicator. The amount of product on it is enough for the whole face.
– The Veil Mineral primer (top left) has a lotion consistency, absorbs quickly and leaves no trace behind.
– The No. 28 Primer serum (bottom left) is a thicker gel but lightweight, takes a little time to absorb. It feels wonderful on the skin and is moisturizing enough that I skip my moisturizer most of the time. It is a (luxurious and all in one) treat to the skin.
– The Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip gloss in Ignite (right) is described as a rose beige shimmer, looks nude on my skin. It is sheer but has beautiful gold shimmers, not sticky, great to top on lipsticks.
The mascara is just black, I didn’t think it needs to be swatched.
Hourglass is a higher end brand, the set is selling for CAD68. I do think either the Veil Mineral primer or the No. 28 primer serum is worth an investment, depending on your needs. But the set is ideal for gifting this holiday season.