Residents and visitors are advised not to swim in, drink water from, or eat fish caught in Powder Mill Lake, near Waverley in the Halifax Regional Municipality, because of a probable blue-green algae bloom.
While the health risk is fairly low, avoiding contact with the water is a simple precaution to prevent the potential health risks of some blue-green algae.
Blue-green algae blooms are naturally occurring and can produce toxins. People should not drink the water or use it to prepare or cook food, or to brush teeth. Boiling the water will not eliminate potential toxins.
People who have ingested water containing toxins from blue-green algae may experience stomach ache, diarrhea, vomiting and nausea. Recreational use of the water, bathing and showering is not advised. Direct contact with toxins from the algae can cause skin and eye irritation. If symptoms persist after a few days, consult a health-care provider.
Pets and other animals should not be permitted to drink or swim in the water.
More information is available at http://www.gov.ns.ca/nse/water/docs/BlueGreenAlgae.pdf and