This one is standard holiday fare in my house. Itʼs low in saturated fat and calories, but honestly is so delicious you wonʼt miss the real thing. If youʼre looking for ways to keep your balance on the big day, replacing your usual “drippings-based” gravy with this one will go a long way. Itʼs also vegan, but “shhh”, Grandpa doesnʼt need to know that!
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 cup minced onion or shallots
– 2 cloves crushed garlic
– 1.5 cups sliced white mushrooms
– 2 tbsp Braggʼs soy seasoning (natural food section of the grocery store)
– 1 tsp thyme
– 1/4 tsp sea salt
– 1/4 tsp black pepper
– 1.5 cups of low sodium veggie stock
– 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
– 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (again, natural food section will have this)
– 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
– 1 tsp of vegan gravy powdered mix (or if you donʼt care about the vegan part, any packaged gravy mix you like)
In a saucepan, heat the oil and add the onion, stirring until softened. Then add the mushrooms and garlic, stirring until mushrooms start to release their juices. Stir in the soy seasoning, salt, pepper and thyme.
Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and add 3/4 of the stock and blend until smooth. Then add the remaining ingredients and blend again until smooth.
Pour the mixture back in the saucepan, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, stirring until thickened. Serve hot.
Itʼs yummy over turkey, mashed potatoes, rice, and even pasta.
Have a wonderful holiday season everyone!
Wendy McCallum, LLB, RHN, is passionate about providing busy parents with the tools & support they need to feed their families wholesome food, so everyone can play, learn, and feel better! She is a mother of two terrific HRM kids, aged 7 &8. For information and recipe ideas, visit her website.