West Hants District RCMP has charged a person after a disturbance at the Hants Community Hospital in Windsor.
On September 14, at approximately 11:55 a.m., police were dispatched to a disturbance at the Hants Community Hospital, where a 30-year-old person had locked themselves in an ultrasound room. A crisis negotiator was brought in and, after several hours of de-escalation, police were able to safely enter the room and take the person into custody without incident.
Subsequent investigation determined that the person had been involved in numerous criminal incidents in Windsor over the preceding four months.
Janice Oostveen, 30, of Windsor, has been charged with the following offences related to five separate incidents:
- Assault – S. 266 CC x2
- Uttering Threats to Cause Death – S. 264.1(1) CC
- Wilfully Causing Unnecessary Suffering to an Animal – S. 445.1 CC
- Mischief – S. 430(10(c) CC
- Assaulting a Peace Officer – S. 270(2) CC
- Breaching of Probation x 6 – S. 733.1(1) CC x6
Oostveen has been remanded into custody and is scheduled to appear in the Kentville Provincial Court on October 12, 2021, at 9:30 a.m.