As thousands of motorcycle riders and enthusiasts descend upon the Digby area for the 11th annual Wharf Rat Rally, RCMP in Nova Scotia are asking attendees to keep road safety at top of mind when taking in the festivities.
‘This weekend promises to be a great time and it’s our job to ensure that everyone returns home safely from this event’ says S/Sgt. Rocky Calhoun, Digby detachment commander. ‘Whether you’re a motorcycle rider, spectator, or both, we ask that you celebrate this weekend’s festivities responsibly.’
The following are some tips that motorcyclists, motorists and pedestrians should keep in mind throughout the Wharf Rat Rally:
– Whether you’re walking, riding or driving, be aware of the traffic around you. Ensure other motorists see you and know what you are doing.
– If you plan on walking to and from events, wear light-coloured clothing, stay in well-lit areas, and refrain from walking in the middle of the road.
– Obey the rules of the road and respect posted speed limits, as well as the rights of pedestrians and other drivers.
– Do not drink and drive. Ensure you have a designated driver or take advantage of shuttle services offered during the Rally.
– Avoid rider distractions. Know where you are going before you arrive or pull off the road to a safe spot to consult a map or GPS.
– Exercise patience when driving in and around the downtown area. The downtown core of Digby will be closed to local traffic, and parking will be limited.
– Give yourself lots of extra time to get to where you are going.
– When parking your cars or motorcycles, please keep valuables out of sight.
The RCMP wishes everyone a fun and safe weekend!