Halifax District RCMP encourages you to prevent criminals from turning the season of giving into a season of taking.
Unfortunately, some thieves see the holiday season as a chance to take what doesn’t belong to them. In order to prevent the season of giving from becoming a season of taking, police offer the following tips:
· Park in well-lit areas.
· Lock your car and hide parcels in the trunk. Avoid trying to cover things. This strategy is less successful.
· Avoid leaving purses in your car.
· Be aware of your surroundings and report suspicious behaviour to local police or on-site security.
· Talk to your children about what to do if they get separated from you.
· If your tree is visible from outside, avoid putting gifts under it until closer to Christmas.
· If you’re out after dark, activate an automatic timer for your lights.
· If you’re going away, ask a trusted neighbour or friend to clear your snow and check on your home daily.
· Photograph new items and keep a record of serial and model numbers.
· Avoid posting pictures of expensive gifts to social media. Criminals sometimes use social media as an online shopping service.
Source: Media Release