Cpl. Ron MacDonald of RCMP Traffic Services reminds drivers of the following winter driving tips:
– Equip your automobile with winter tires. Tires can be the biggest single component that will improve winter driving
– Front-wheel drive vehicles and pickup trucks tend to be front heavy, which means the light rear end of the vehicle doesn’t have as much traction.
– During winter weather make sure you allow yourself extra time to get to your destination, slow down and pay close attention to your driving and the driving of others
– Ensure that you have appropriate winter clothing in your car, you never know when you may breakdown or become involved in a crash that immobilizes your vehicle
– Listen for travel advisories or road condition updates. If the police are advising against road travel and you are able to stay where you are, please do so
– Carry an emergency kit in your vehicle with booster cables, de-icer, warm clothes, non perishable food and a candle
– Always wear your seatbelt