Halifax District RCMP charged 42 drivers with impaired related offences during the month of June. Of the 42 drivers, 25 were charged with Impaired Operation of a Motor Vehicle by Alcohol, 2 were charged with Impaired Operation of a Motor Vehicle by Drug and 15 were issued driving suspensions for operating a motor vehicle while having consumed alcohol.
Of the 27 impaired drivers apprehended, 20 were male, 7 were female and ages ranged from 19–76. Of the 15 drivers suspended, 14 were male, 1 was female and ages ranged from 21-61.
Throughout the month, police received 24 calls from the public through 911 about suspected impaired drivers. Of all impaired drivers charged, 15 were a direct result of calls from the public.
Possible signs of an impaired driver:
- Weaving from one side of lane to the other
- Taking extremely wide turns
- Inconsistent speeds
- Driving without headlights, failing to lower high beams or leaving turn signals on
- Driving with windows open in cold or inclement weather
- Approaching or leaving intersections too quickly or slowly
Call 911 immediately if you suspect someone is driving impaired:
- State your location and direction of travel for the vehicle.
- Provide adescription of the vehicle, including the license plate number, colour, make and model
Source : Media Release