This is the FOTD I mentioned in yesterday’s post, inspired by the pro makeup tricks I came across over on the Beauty Editor blog.
I’m not very adventurous in how I do my makeup, so I thought I should give these tricks a try. And since the tips are from Grace Lee (Maybelline’s key makeup artist), I think it would be fun to include some Maybelline products that I love.
First trick: Use a dark/ black eyeliner on the lips before a dark lipstick (plum, dark cherry, red, etc.) to make it stay put and maintain the colour. Why didn’t I think of this before? It’s not easy to find a dark waterproof lip liner but we have tons of dark long wearing eyeliners in our stash.
Second trick: Clear lip balm on the cheeks as a highlighter. Can you see it on my cheeks?
Last one: Double colourful lines on the upper lash line. Since Grace said brown eyes didn’t really have to coordinate with any liner colours (because brown is not on the colour wheel), I just randomly grabbed two colours. Ta da!
Maybelline products I used:
– Foundation: Fit Me foundation in 235 Pure Beige
– Eye liners – upper lash line: Color Tattoos in Electric Blue and Tenacious Teal (applied above Electric Blue)
– Highlight: Baby Lips in Energizing Orange (clear, Asia version)
– Lipstick: Color Sensational lipstick in Fifth Ave. Fuchsia – a brighter fuchsia pink with some blue undertone.
– Primer: 100% Pure Luminous primer
– Blush: tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour blush in Charisma
– Brow bone highlight: the icy pink in Revlon PhotoReady palette in Metropolitan
– Brow liner: Yves Rocher eyebrow pencil in Brown
– Mascara: Annabelle Le Big Show in Black
– Eyeliners – lower lash line: Annabelle Smudge liners in Electric Sapphire and Foxy Grey.
And the EcoTools Spring 2013 brushes – Foam applicator and Face & Body Sculting brush – were definitely used for this look.
I am kinda shocked at the result on my lips, I finally got the dark purple fuchsia I always wanted. Can you guess what I used, as Fifth Avenue Fuchsia does not look anywhere near this?
It was my beloved Annabelle Smudge liner in Electric Sapphire, a dark navy blue. I figured blue is not too intensely dark, brings out the blue undertone in fuchsia even more, and it makes my teeth look more white The lip colour faded nicely during the day too, no strange post effect. Yay!
The double liners didn’t look too bad, though I still need practice. Setting the Color Tattoos with powder eyeshadows (which I didn’t do) would help the colours last longer on the lid, or switching to colourful gel liners instead.
The clear balm highlighter? It worked, but again, I’d suggest setting it with a finishing powder to avoid the light stickiness of the balm. My foundation did not crease because of the balm though.
So there you have it, makeup tricks in a pinch. I can’t wait to play with more dark eyeliners on the lips, I’m obsessed now