Yum! Had this for supper last night with a salad and for lunch today! I got the original recipe from Healthy Girls’ Kitchen
but adapted it to my tastes. I like more flavour. You can double this for a potluck, delicious! Bonus….it is FAT FREE!
Fragrant Curried Sweet Rice with Kale & Chickpeas
1.5 cups brown rice (I used a mixture of wild, red and brown)
3 cups of veggie broth plus extra for sauteeing ( I used a box of Pacifico)
2.5 Tbsp of mild curry powder
1 T onion powder
1.5 tsp chili powder
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika ( use regular if that’s what you have)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 large onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced ( I think I used 4)
3/4 cup shredded,chopped kale (cut out the spine)
1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped finely (you could use raisins)
! 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans/chickpeas drained (I used Eden brand, no BPA)
Juice of 1/2 lemon ( I also used some orange juice too, but that is optional)
salt to taste
hot sauce to taste
1. Put the rice and all spices into a large pot with water and cook according to the directions for the rice.( Usually simmer for about 25-35 minutes)
2. Chop onion, carrot and kale and dates.
3. In a skillet, coat the bottom with veggie broth and heat. When starting to simmer, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, add the carrot and cook for another 5 minutes or so. Add extra broth to keep from sticking. You can turn it down a bit and then add the dates and kale.
4. When the rice is cooked, stir in the drained chickpeas, onion/carrot/kale mixture and lemon juice.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning. salt and pepper and hot sauce etc.
Really tasty! I’m sure you could use squash, or sweet potato or maybe toos in some green beans. This is one of those dishes that is easy to modify!