A Halifax man has been charged with multiple firearms offences as a result of an ongoing investigation by the Nova Scotia RCMP Federal Serious and Organized Crime Unit.
On January 27, police arrested a 31-year-old Halifax man on Wilkinson Ave. in Dartmouth without incident. This was the result of an investigation that began after information came forward that the accused was planning to illegally buy a restricted firearm, over capacity magazines and ammunition.
Leonidas George Kapsalis, of Halifax, has been charged with:
· Attempted Possession of a Firearm while Unauthorized
· Possession of a Prohibited Device
· Attempted Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
· Attempted Possession of a Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
· Attempting to Import a Restricted Firearm
· Failure to Comply with a Condition of a Recognizance
The Nova Scotia RCMP Federal Serious and Organized Crime Unit received assistance in this investigation from the RCMPNS Emergency Response Team, Police Dog Services, National Weapons Enforcement Support Team (NWEST) and the United States Department of Homeland Security, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI).
Kapsalis appeared in Dartmouth Provincial Court yesterday.