Friday, April 24, 2015 (Halifax, NS) – Halifax Regional Municipality’s Chief Administrative Officer Richard Butts and Chief Financial Officer Greg Keefe, will table the proposed 2015-16 operating and project budgets with Regional Council on Tuesday, April 28, during a Committee of the Whole session. Committee of the Whole is scheduled to begin at City Hall at 10 a.m., and will also be live-streamed at www.halifax.ca/council/live/video.php.
Regional Council has been reviewing and deliberating the proposed 2015-16 operating and project budgets one department at a time over the course of eleven Committee of the Whole meetings held since December 2014.
Residents were also asked to provide input and feedback on the proposed budgets through a public consultation process which included:
- Budget presentations and opportunity for public comments at three Community Council meetings
- Budget presentations and opportunity for public comments at eleven Committee of the Whole meetings
- Shape Your City online engagement tool, which included:
- a discussion forum;
- frequently asked questions;
- past budget information; and
- Budget Allocator tool, which provided residents with the opportunity to simulate the impact of allocating tax dollars to various services such as transit, parks and policing, and subsequently see the potential impact on both service delivery and the overall budget.
Feedback generated through this year’s engagement process helped to inform the municipality of resident’s priorities for programs and services for the 2015-16 fiscal year.
For more information on the proposed 2015-16 budget, visit www.halifax.ca/budget.