The Halifax Regional Municipality is conducting a review of its solid waste strategy. This review will focus on strategic initiatives that need to be implemented over the next five to seven years to achieve 2030 objectives and work toward meeting 2050 objectives, including:
- Maximizing reduction, reuse, and recycling of waste resources
- Maximizing environmental and fiscal sustainability of the waste program
- Fostering public stewardship and conservation
- Aligning with HalifACT goals (new)
- Contributing to the 2022 Environmental Goals and Climate Change Reduction Act (new)
From September 25 and October 31, residents will be able to provide feedback on the future of our municipality’s solid waste system through a survey. The survey is focused on obtaining residents’ input on the proposed objectives of the strategy review, levels of service delivery, and resident satisfaction with current solid waste services.
- Printed copies (regular and large font) may be mailed to residents by contacting 311
- Requests for mailed copies must be received by October 25 to allow for return mail
- Printed copies will be available for pick-up at each of the municipal Customer Service Centres at Alderney Gate, Bayers Road and Musquodoboit Harbour locations
- Solid Waste staff will be present at various events to promote and conduct surveys in person
- A list of dates/locations will be updated on Shape Your City
Anyone who requires assistance completing the survey may request an in-person, online or phone meeting by calling 311.
This project is funded in part by the Sustainable Communities Challenge Fund – a Nova Scotia provincial grant initiative administered by the Nova Scotia Federation of Municipalities. In part, this fund supports the implementation of initiatives that avoid and reduce greenhouse gas emissions and contribute to Nova Scotia’s targets for emission reduction. Through this grant, the municipality will receive up to $306,000 towards eligible expenses associated with the strategy review (approximately 60% of the project budget).
Further questions about the Solid Waste Strategy Review may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.