In accordance with the Nova Scotia Release of High-Risk Offender Information Protocol, Halifax Regional Police is advising all citizens, particularly those in the Halifax region, that a high-risk offender is residing in our community.
Harvey Joseph Venus, 38, has been released into the community following a period of custody for a breach of a long-term supervision order. Venus has multiple criminal convictions including sexual assault (x2), assault causing bodily harm, assault, and sexual interference of a person under 16-years-old.
Venus is required to follow strict conditions, including:
- Not to be in the presence of any children under the age of 18 years.
- Not to be in, near, or around places where children under the age of 18 years are likely to congregate such as daycares, elementary and secondary schools, parks and playgrounds, swimming pools and recreational centres.
- Not to own, use or possess any technological device that would allow you access to the internet.
- Reporting all sexual and non-sexual relationships and friendships with women and any changes to the status of the relationships/friendships.
- Not to associate or communicate with any person known to be involved in criminal activity.
- Reside at a designated community-based residential facility.
- Not to consume, purchase or possess alcohol.
- Not to consume, purchase or possess drugs other than prescribed.
HRP warns against anyone encouraging or undertaking any form of vigilante activity or other unreasonable conduct and intend to issue this notification as a public interest alert.
We ask citizens to call police at 902-490-5020 if they believe Venus is violating his release conditions.