With onlytwo ingredients this recipe is so simple it basically cooks itself. I believe my mother told me about this recipe after seeing it on Rachel Ray a while back. In any case I’ve made it a few times, and it’s always been a success. This recipe also could work to create meatballs for spaghetti that could easily be rolled and frozen to be used at anytime.
I like to freeze these chicken burger patties individually in ziploc freezer bags, so I can take one to two out at a time. Freezing them individually allows you to bake them in the oven when you are having a busy day; like for instance when I moved into my new place, and we were sick of ordering take out. I simply went to the freezer, and popped these patties into the oven and in 20 minutes we had an entire meal (sans deliver charge).
Because you are using extra lean ground chicken or turkey the meat is already really wet, so you don’t need eggs to hold the mixture together. The stove top stuffing mix takes care of the spices, and because I opt for the reduced sodium you don’t have to worry about your burger giving you a heart attack.
Serve your burgers with your favourite greens and a multi-grain bun to up your veggie and fibre intake.
- Extra lean ground chicken / turkey or pork
- Reduced sodium stove top stuffing
- Remove the extra lean ground chicken from the package and place into a large bowl.
- Open the stove top stuffing package, and pour into the bowl. Using a spoon or even better your hands work the mixture into the meat.
- Once the two are combined using your hands form into patties; I think I usually get 6 to 8 patties give or take. (Depending on the size you like them you could have more of less).
- Bake on a cookie sheet on 350 for about 20 minutes. I like to use multi-grain rolls, and toast them near the end of the cook time.
Note: when forming the patties be aware that they will shrink when you bake them, so if you like them bigger just over estimate by a touch.
Top your burger with any of the following.
- avocado slices
- marinated artichokes
- various mustards / flavoured mayo