Residents wishing to dispose of household special waste not acceptable for curbside collection may bring their materials to the following upcoming mobile household special waste depot events:
When: Saturday, April 29
Where: Sackville Transit Terminal, 7 Walker Avenue, Lower Sackville
When: Saturday, May 6
Where: Porter’s Lake Transit Terminal, 21 Inspiration Drive, Porters Lake
When: Saturday, May 20
Where: Mic Mac Mall, 21 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth
The mobile drop-off depots will be in operation from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and will take place rain or shine.
Materials accepted at the household drop-off depot include:
· leftover corrosive cleaners
· fuel oil and used motor oil (or find a collection site with Atlantic Used Oil Management Association)
· pharmaceuticals and drugs (or return to pharmacy)
· aerosol cans containing hazardous substances
· barbecue propane tanks
· small propane cylinders (for example, those used for camp stoves and propane torches)
· batteries (visit call2recycle.ca for a full list of retail drop-off locations for batteries)
· leftover liquid paint (paint and empty paint cans may also be returned to any Enviro-Depot. Please visit their website for locations and hours of operation)
· CFL and fluorescent bulbs
The municipality also operates a permanent Household Special Waste Depot at 20 Horseshoe Lake Drive. Drop-off times are on most Saturdays between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. The household special waste drop-off depots are open only to residents of the Halifax Regional Municipality. Business waste is not permitted.
For more information on Halifax’s solid waste program including updates on future depot events, please visit our website, download the Halifax Recycles app or contact 311.