Residents looking to dispose of unwanted household special waste can bring their materials to the mobile special waste depot events happening this October.
When: Saturday, October 2
Where: St. Margarets Bay Elementary, 24 Ridgewood Dr, Head of St. Margarets Bay
When: Saturday, October 9
Where: Mic Mac Mall, 21 Micmac Blvd, Dartmouth
When: Saturday, October 16
Where: NSCC Leeds St Campus, 5685 Leeds St, Halifax
When: Saturday, October 30
Where: Saint Mary’s University, 960 Tower Rd, Halifax
The mobile drop-off depot will be in operation from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and will take place rain or shine.
Materials accepted at the household drop-off depot include:
- leftover corrosive cleaners
- fuel oil and used motor oil
- pharmaceuticals and drugs
- aerosol cans containing hazardous substances
- barbecue propane tanks
- small propane cylinders (for example, those used for camp stoves and propane torches)
- batteries (visit call2recycle.ca for a full list of retail drop-off locations for batteries and cell phones)
- leftover liquid paint (paint and empty paint cans may also be returned to any Enviro-Depot. Please visit their website for locations and hours of operation)
The municipality also operates a permanent Household Special Waste depot at 20 Horseshoe Lake Drive. Drop-off times are on most Saturdays between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. The household special waste drop-off depots are open only to residents of the Halifax Regional Municipality. Business waste is not permitted.