Hey Moms, our special day is coming up! There’s definitely no shortage of Mother’s Day events this year – here’s a quick round-up of what I’ve found so far.
If you know of any we’ve missed, please let us know in the comments below!
- Kids, visit Aplaydia and create something special for Mom! From Monday to Saturday this week create a special Mother’s Day card and on Monday and Wednesday decorate a flower pot and plant a beautiful flower for Mom! Click here for more details.
- For kids up to five years old, celebrate Mother’s Day with stories, songs and rhymes all about moms at the Keshen Goodman Library. Then, make a craft to take home. Free. On Saturday May 9. Click here for more details.
- Did you know that Mother’s Day is Peace Day? On Saturday, bring your lunch and your babies to the Mothers’ Day Peace Picnic. There will be music and a craft for kids – to help design a “Tree of Peace on Mother Earth”. The children’s messages will be sent to Ottawa. The event is free and open to everyone (fathers welcome too!). Click here for more details.
- Support “Amanda’s Gift”, an educational support program while enjoying a Mother’s Day Brunch at the Cunard Centre. Along with the fabulous brunch, there will be a silent auction, supervised children’s area and entertainment for all. Tickets are $37, $18 for children 6-12. Tickets should be purchased ahead of time and can be ordered by contacting Valerie Bobyk at 420-1980.
- Come experience all things Princess at the Princess Tea Party presented by Lawtons Drugs in support of the Children’s Wish Foundation! The fun and fairy tales begin at 2pm at the World Trade and Convention Centre Halifax on Sunday, and features hosts Queen Liz (Rigney), Sir Neville (MacKay) and Pinkalicious, The Musical. Come dressed as your favourite Princess and be a part of the magic surrounding this very special event – and help send our Wish Child, Haley, off to Disney World to meet Cinderella! There are limited tickets available, and can be purchased in advance only by calling the Children’s Wish Foundation at 468-3044. (I believe tickets are $30 per person but haven’t been able to confirm that.)
- Have a civilized Mother’s Day with afternoon tea at Cole Harbour Heritage Farm. No reservations required. Cost is $8 adults and $5 child. Price is all inclusive. Click here for more details.
- Join the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia for a special Mother’s Day Family Sunday. Click here for more details.
- On Saturday, celebrate World Fair Trade Day and Mother’s Day with a fair trade textile sale and slideshow, and celebrate, pay tribute to and support women artisans, helping them sustain their families, communities and traditions in rural Thailand and Laos. For more details click here.
- On Sunday there’s fun for the whole family at Hatfield Farm with their Mother’s Day Special. Along with yummy food, enjoy a wagon ride to and from Fort Clayton, plus play time in the Rubber Radio. For more details click here.
- Pamper yourself and your daughter at Sharkey’s Mother’s Day Glamour Hour on Sunday. There’s a few spots left – please call Sharkey’s on 406-7074 to book (and may as well book your child’s free haircut at the same time – click here for details!).
- Take a Family Yoga Class with your kids aged 3-5 years – the next class is the Sunday after Mother’s Day. Lara Morris, the instructor, says she takes “a lighhearted approach so kids get to move around lots, make some noise and also practice some of the quieter and more contemplative parts of yoga”. The next class is Sunday, May 17 from 10-10:45am. Class fee is $12 for each child (includes caregiver). The classes take place at the Bloomfield Centre, 2786 Agricola Street (at Almon) in Halifax. Lara asks people to bring their own yoga mats, including one for their child if possible. Register in advance by calling 422-4096 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great Mother’s Day, whatever you do – just make sure you find time to relax, put your feet up and enjoy!