Halifax District RCMP and Halifax Regional Police charged 78 drivers with impaired related offences during the month of October.
Of the 78 drivers, 56 were charged with Impaired Operation of a Motor Vehicle by Alcohol and 22 were issued driving suspensions for operating a motor vehicle while having consumed alcohol.
Of the 56 impaired drivers apprehended, 44 were male, 12 were female and ages ranged from 19-68. Of the 22 drivers suspended, 18 were male, 4 were female and ages ranged from 17-61.
Throughout the month, police received 28 calls from the public through 911 about suspected impaired drivers. Of all impaired drivers charged, 18 were a direct result of calls from the public.
Possible signs of an impaired driver:
- Weaving from one side of lane to the other
- Taking extremely wide turns
- Inconsistent speeds
- Driving without headlights, failing to lower high beams or leaving turn signals on
- Driving with windows open in cold or inclement weather
- Approaching or leaving intersections too quickly or slowly
Call 911 immediately if you suspect someone is driving impaired:
- State your location and direction of travel for the vehicle.
- Provide a description of the vehicle, including the license plate number, color, make and model
Source : Media Release