Halifax District RCMP and Halifax Regional Police – Partners in Policing – charged 67 drivers with impaired related offences during the month of January. Of the 67 drivers, 46 were charged with Impaired Operation of a Motor Vehicle by Alcohol, 3 were charged with Impaired Operation of a Motor Vehicle by Drug and 18 were issued driving suspensions for operating a motor vehicle while having consumed alcohol.
Of the 49 impaired drivers apprehended, 37 were male, 12 were female and ages ranged from 18-77. Of the 18 drivers suspended, 15 were male, 3 were female and ages ranged from 16-52.
Throughout the month, police received 32 calls from the public through 911 about suspected impaired drivers. Of all impaired drivers charged, 20 were a direct result of calls from the public.
Impaired drivers identified via:
Traffic stops 17
Suspended drivers identified via:
Traffic stops 12
Breath sample provided:
Of the 46 drivers who provided breath samples, officers were able to detect and charge at a wide range of blood alcohol content from 90-320 mg %.
Of those who did not provide a breath sample:
Refuse breath demand 3
Blood sample obtained 4
Drug Recognition Expert required 5
Your Partners in Policing thank citizens for calling in suspected impaired drivers throughout the month. We encourage citizens to always call 911 immediately if you suspect someone is driving impaired. Here are some signs of an impaired driver:
- Driving unreasonably fast, slow or at an inconsistent speed
- Drifting in and out of lanes
- Tailgating and changing lanes frequently
- Making exceptionally wide turns
- Changing lanes or passing without sufficient clearance
- Overshooting or stopping well before stop signs or stop lights
- Disregarding signals and lights
- Approaching signals or leaving intersections too quickly or slowly
- Driving without headlights, failing to lower high beams or leaving turn signals on
- Driving with windows open in cold or inclement weather
Here’s what you should do if you observe a potential impaired driver:
- Call 911, state your location and provide:
o A description of the vehicle, including the license plate number, color, make and model
o The direction of travel for the vehicle
o A description of the driver
Source : Media Release