At approximately 3:45 pm on July 27th, members of the Halifax Regional Police responded the area of the Mainland Common in Halifax, after receiving a suspicious circumstances report from a citizen. A 20 year old woman reported that she had been in the area of the Mainland Common to retrieve digital items associated to Pokemon Go. While at that location the woman was approached by an unknown man who attempted to solicit her for sex. The woman refused and distanced herself from the man, however, the man persisted in soliciting her. The woman contacted police on her cell phone and the man left the area.
The man was described as being slim, 20-30 years of age, with an olive complexion, black hair, having a mole on his cheek wearing a black shirt and white shorts, and speaking with an accent. Officers are looking to speak with anyone who may have any knowledge of this incident and ask that they contact Halifax Regional Police at 902-490-5020. Anonymous tips can be sent to Crime Stoppers by calling toll-free 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), submitting a secure web tip at www.crimestoppers.ns.ca or texting a tip – Tip 202 + your message to 274637.
Halifax Regional Police would also like to remind citizens that are playing Pokemon Go of the following tips:
- Don’t drive or ride your bike, skateboard, etc. while interacting with the app…you can’t do both safely.
- Pay attention and look where you’re going.
- Play in pairs or as a group to ensure your safety.
- If you’re travelling in an unfamiliar area, make sure you tell someone where you’re going.
- Don’t trespass onto private property
. Source: Media Release