Halifax District RCMP charged 35 drivers with impaired related offences during the month of July. Of the 35 drivers, 20 were charged with Impaired Operation of a Motor Vehicle by Alcohol and 15 were issued driving suspensions for operating a motor vehicle while having consumed alcohol.
Of the 20 impaired drivers apprehended, 18 were male, 2 were female and ages ranged from 20–57. Of the 15 drivers suspended, 11 were male, 4 were female and ages ranged from 23-71.
Throughout the month, police received 10 calls from the public through 911 about suspected impaired drivers. Of all impaired drivers charged, 4 were a direct result of calls from the public.
Possible signs of an impaired driver:
- Weaving from one side of lane to the other
- Taking extremely wide turns
- Inconsistent speeds
- Driving without headlights, failing to lower high beams or leaving turn signals on
- Driving with windows open in cold or inclement weather
- Approaching or leaving intersections too quickly or slowly
Call 911 immediately if you suspect someone is driving impaired:
- State your location and direction of travel for the vehicle.
- Provide adescription of the vehicle, including the license plate number, colour, make and model
Source : Media Release