As hundreds of ATV riders and enthusiasts descend upon the Lake Charlotte area for the 22nd annual Lake Charlotte ATV Rally on Saturday, February 20, RCMP in Nova Scotia are asking attendees to keep road and trail safety top of mind when taking in the festivities.
“This weekend promises to be a great time and it’s our job to ensure that everyone returns home safely from this event” says Sgt. Mark MacLeod, Musquodoboit Harbour RCMP. “Whether you’re an ATV rider, spectator, or both, we ask that you celebrate responsibly.”
The RCMP would like to remind ATV enthusiasts of a few simple tips to make every ride an enjoyable one:
· Whether you’re riding or driving, be aware of the traffic around you. Ensure other motorists and riders see you and know what you are doing.
· Obey the rules of the road and trail and respect posted signs, as well as the rights of other drivers and riders.
· Stay on marked trails and do not drive across ice given how warm our winter has been to date.
· Ride sober. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs do not mix. Do not drive impaired, and do not allow others to do so.
· Ride at a reasonable rate of speed. Know your riding partner’s driving limitations, as well as your own, and operate only at a speed that allows you to remain in total control of your vehicle.
· Avoid rider distractions. Know where you are going before you arrive or pull off the road to a safe spot to consult a map or GPS.
· Always wear protective clothing, including a helmet, gloves and eye protection. Wear layers of clothing to keep warm and dry.
· Exercise patience when driving in and around congested areas. During the rally, the warm up shack and stopping points will be quite busy.
· Give yourself lots of extra time to get to where you are going.
· When parking your ATV’s and vehicles, please keep valuables out of sight.
· Ensure that your ATV is registered and insured.
The RCMP wishes everyone a fun weekend and will be out in full force throughout the rally in an effort to keep riders and spectators safe.
Source: Media Release