Halifax District RCMP encourages people who are venturing into the woods for outdoor hikes or winter-related activities to plan ahead, and consider bringing their smartphones. Smartphone apps have assisted RCMP locate people who encounter difficulties or become disoriented while in the woods.
“We’ve had success in locating people who have become lost while in the woods”, says Cpl. Dal Hutchinson, Halifax District RCMP. “In certain cases the people had apps on their smartphones which enabled searchers to locate them”.
There are many things to consider before heading out and enjoying the outdoors. The RCMP ask you to consider the following tips to make sure you’re well prepared:
– ensure you tell others where you are going and when you will return
– fully charge your smartphone
– ensure your off highway vehicle is in working condition and full of fuel
– do not attempt to try trails that you are unfamiliar with unless you’ve done some research
– consider going with another person or group
– monitor local weather forecasts
– don’t consume alcohol and drugs
– dress according to weather
– ensure you have food and something to drink.
Source: Media Release