RCMP urge motorists to take extra precaution on our roadways due to today’s severe weather event.
RCMP from across the province have responded to several motor vehicle collisions and countless vehicles off the road in ditches and stuck in snow and ice on both our main highways and secondary roads.
The RCMP are reminding the motoring public to adjust their driving habits and be mindful of the change of road conditions during this winter weather event. In order to safely arrive at your destination, please slow down, allow extra time to reach your destination and allow extra stopping distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you. If you don’t have to travel today please stay off the roads.
If you do have to travel please use these tips:
· Monitor local weather reports for current and changing conditions before travelling;
· Please avoid any unnecessary travel. Listen for advisories or road condition updates;
· Ensure an emergency kit is prepared and in your vehicle;
· Ensure cell phones are charged and ready for use in the event of an emergency;
· Adjust your driving according to the conditions and slow down when passing emergency vehicles at roadside while are responding to collisions and crashes;
· Allow extra time to arrive at your destination;
· Maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and those in front of you; and
· Ensure other motorists can see you. Turn on your headlights.
Road safety is everyone’s responsibility.