[This is the second recipe compliments of Kelly MacDonald. This is what she wrote to me when she sent me the recipe… ” Sweet Jesus this one’s good! I invented it last night and just had my first serving…” Hopefully you all enjoy it as much as she did.]
What you need
- 4-5 zuchinnis, sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- Olive Oil
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 pkg mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can tomatoes (with celery, onion, and green pepper added)
- 1 can low sodium tomato sauce
- 1 large pkg baby spinach
- 1 container fat free cottage cheese
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 handful good kalmata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part skim mozza
What to do
- Brush zuchinni slices with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill (I used a george forman grill – you could also use a BBQ but would need to make the slices a bit thicker), and lay out on paper towel to let the moisture out.
- Fry chicken breasts and mushrooms (sprinkled with salt and pepper to taste) in about a tbsp of olive oil until cooked. Add the tomatoes, the sauce, and the spinach and cook for about 20-30 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together the feta and cottage cheese.
- Using a lasagna pan (or regular casserole pan) put a bit of sauce in the bottom of the pan, and add a layer of zuchinni “noodles”. Put sauce on top, and then a layer of the cottage cheese mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the mozza and half of the olives. Add another layer of zuchinni, sauce, then the rest of the cottage cheese mixture, olives, and then top with the last layer of zuchinni, sauce, and finish off with mozza.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- This will be a bit runnier than your usual lasagna, and is best if you leave it to cool completely in the fridge before cutting it. Heat in the microwave and serve.
Filed under: Recipes