She coaches clients to use real and natural foods to achieve their healthiest body and mind.
She runs her own business called Nova Scotia’s Nutrition Coach:
My son William’s bus comes at 7:30 a.m. His feet hit the floor – after many wake-up calls – at about 7 a.m. Shower, dress and hair takes about 20 minutes. You can see this does not leave a lot of time for breakfast! And breakfast is not a priority for Will.
I have tried all kinds of techniques, including making scientifically proven statements about breakfast such as: breakfast eaters have higher grades, breakfast eaters have healthier overall diets. I have also resorted to begging and pleading…not a pretty sight to a teenage boy…mother in white terry robe with sports socks, bedhead, no makeup, morning breath, with a look of desperation on face…
I have also used tempting foods – breakfast cereals with less fiber, more sugar…and more recently…Nutella on bread!
The most successful to date has been these homemade waffles. Now, I don’t want you thinking that I am some kind of martyr whisking together flours, eggs and cinnamon every morning. I thought, “if you can buy frozen waffles – why not make homemade waffles en masse and freeze them to be toasted as required?!”
And it works like a lucky charm. I have made several double and quadruple batches of these. The only problem is they disappear in about 2 or 3 days!
SPELT CINNAMON WAFFLES
This is a single batch – I double it – and make two double batches at a time to freeze.
2 cups whole spelt flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 T sugar or less
1 T cinnamon or more….
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cup milk or milk alternate
1 T vanilla extract
1. In one bowl whisk the dry ingredients.
2. In another bowl, whisk the wet ingredients.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and blend with a large spoon just until mixed.
4. Lightly brush the heated waffle maker with oil.
5. Add batter to waffle maker – not too much or it will seep out of the sides! Messy!
6. When done, carefully remove the waffles. Eat them now – or cool on a rack. When cool, transfer to a freezer container or freezer bags.
7. If eating from frozen, toast them and cut them up for your 13 year old Momma’s boy.
8. Watch him pour the 100 % maple syrup generously all over the stack of waffles…..$$… and eat them all up, leaving a pool of 100% maple syrup on the plate…..dip your finger in and have a lick!
9. Watch him run to the bus with waffles in his belly – yeahhhhhh!!!!