Ed note: From today’s press conference:
Private camping will be open on June 5th, capacity limited to 50% of the facility. Provincial campgrounds open on the 15th, at “reduced capacity”.
Social gathering limit increased to 10 people from 5, does not include family “bubble” gatherings. Must maintain 6 feet social distancing. 10 people indoors, 15 outdoors are now allowed together at funerals and weddings, not including the officiant.
Fall elections are happening.
The Halifax Regional Municipality continues to monitor and respond to the rapidly evolving effects of COVID-19.
The following is an update on municipal services with respect to Parks & Recreation:
Parks, sports fields and courts
- Sport tracks and basketball courts are now open for individual, household and household bubble use. Team training and games with individuals not within your household/household bubble remains prohibited under current social distancing measures. These restrictions will be adjusted in line with updated public health direction.
- Staff are working to open courts as quickly as possible. Your patience is appreciated during this time.
- The municipality is opening grass sport fields for bookings effective June 1 consistent with our standard schedule and will also commence bookings of all-weather fields. All field users will need to follow their sport-specific ‘Return to Play’ activity plan which meets provincial health regulations in order to book a field. The standard municipal booking process will be followed and questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public washrooms in parks are now open. All washrooms receive daily cleaning.
Beaches, pools and splash pads
- All beaches have reopened, however they are currently unsupervised. Residents can use beaches at their own risk.
- Lifeguards are expected to be in place beginning July 6, subject to hiring availability. The status of all supervised beaches will be communicated before July 6.
- At this time, outdoor pools and splash pads remain closed. Staff are awaiting further details from public health on the possibility of opening some of these facilities this summer.
Recreation programming, recreation centres and summer camps
- The municipality is working on a phased approach for reopening facilities to ensure public health guidelines are being followed. A reopening plan will be shared publicly once finalized.
- Staff are in consultation with public health on the possibility of offering modified summer programming and day camps. Updates will be communicated as decisions are confirmed.
- At this time, recreation staff are sharing virtual activities on our Facebook page and are looking to expand on virtual offerings.
For more information on municipal services during the COVID-19 pandemic, visit Halifax.ca/coronavirus.