Next week on September 17th, 2012, Green Living Enterprises is hosting a Green Jobs Forum
It is a great event for recent graduates,teens or anyone looking for a career change, or any one interested in looking at environmentally friendly fields. The event is at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre an it is a great chance to learn about career choices in the New Green Economy. The event is Canada’s first comprehensive platform for business leaders, visionaries and teachers to connect. What a great place to learn about what is available!
Here is an interesting fact-56 per cent of Canadian teens are interested in a career in the environmental sector (including my daughter), but close to the same amount (51 per cent) aren’t clear on the career opportunities available to them? My daughter falls in that later group.
Research shows people know jobs in the environmental sector are increasing, yet they don’t feel they know enough about the types of jobs available. This is a great oppurtunity to break that barrier, and the best part the event is FREE!
We need events like this to prepare our youth, and so those looking at career changes know what is out there so WE all can have that sustainable future!
Here are some facts about the forum
Experts from environmentally focused companies will deliver seminars focusing on skills and education which will help youth in identifying employment in growth sectors that facilitate the reduction of waste and pollution and benefit the environment. There will be eight seminar rooms and each room will focus on a different sector, the focus for the rooms will be the following topics:
- Alternative Energy
- Green building
- Transportation and Urban Planning
- Agri-food & Horticulture
- Economics & Business
- Marketing & Communication
- Environmental Protection & Conservation
- Entrepreneurship, Partnership and Innovation
Each room will have up to 6 seminars which will cover different careers within each of the focus areas. Attendees will receive information about job opportunities in the field, work environment along with education and specific requirements to enter that field. In addition to seminars, there will be up to 60 exhibits which attendees will be able to explore between seminar sessions. The exhibits will be divided into 4 categories.
- Hands on help: This area will provide attendees with resume and cover letter writing help, interview skills, jobs search techniques etc
- Corporate and NGO’s: This area will house companies that have jobs to offer in the environmental field or regularly hire new graduates
- Universities and Colleges: Any educational institutions that offer environmental program would be part of this area
- Networking opportunities: Any organizations that provide internships, volunteer opportunities or networking opportunities (such as green drinks) would be clustered in this area of the exhibition floor
Best part the event is free to attend, all you have to do is register.
*I am receiving compensation for posting this information, but like every other paid post, I feel the information is of value to you my reader. My opinions are always my own.