Barrington RCMP has charged a man after multiple incidents occurred on Cape Sable Island.
On October 19, 2023, at approximately 8:30 a.m., Barrington RCMP responded to a report of a hit and run on Hwy. 330 in North East Point. RCMP officers learned that a Dodge Ram 1500 and a Chevrolet Silverado 3500 had collided on Hwy. 330 in North East Point, when the male driver of the Ram 1500 fled the scene on foot. RCMP officers began searching for the male and observed him running into the woods near McGray Ave. RCMP Police Dog Services were called to assist.
At approximately 10:30 a.m., Barrington RCMP received a report of a Hyundai Sonata having been stolen from a property on Centreville Southside Rd. in Centreville. RCMP officers subsequently closed the causeway between North East Point and Barrington Passage and, continued with their search efforts. RCMP officers from Shelburne, Yarmouth and Meteghan were also called to assist in the search.
At approximately 11:15 a.m., the stolen Hyundai Sonata was located travelling north on Hwy. 330 in North East Point, RCMP officers confirmed that the male driver, was the suspect that was involved in the hit and run. A traffic stop was attempted however the vehicle began to flee. A pursuit was initiated and spike belt was deployed which was successful in flattening the tires of the vehicle. During the spike belt deployment, the vehicle rammed two police cars that were parked in the road as a barricade. The vehicle came to a stop a short time later and the male driver was safely arrested.
RCMP officers observed that the man was displaying signs of impairment however, the man refused to provide a sample of breath to determine the concentration of alcohol, if any, in his blood.
While preparing the Ram 1500, that was involved in the hit and run, to be towed, RCMP officers located a loaded rifle, and a shotgun, in a storage box in the bed of the truck.
Tyrel Anthony Comeau, 27, of Saint Bernard, has been charged with:
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm (two counts);
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possessions is Unauthorized (two counts);
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle (two counts);
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose (two counts);
- Careless Transportation of a Firearm (two counts);
- Unsafe Transportation of a Firearm;
- Possession of a Firearm Obtained by the Commission of an Offence (two counts);
- Dangerous Operation of a Conveyance (two counts);
- Flight from Police;
- Failure to Stop After Accident (two counts);
- Operation of a Conveyance While Prohibited;
- Failure to Comply with a Lawful Demand;
- Theft of a Motor Vehicle;
- Mischief (two counts);
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime (two counts);
- Resisting Arrest;
- Failure to Comply with Conditions of a Release Order (six counts);
Comeau has been remanded into custody and will appear in Shelburne Provincial Court on November 1, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.