UPDATE: Festival is now free after the Tragically Hip drop out due to personal issues with one of the bandmembers’ families.
Some of the biggest Canadian names in music are descending on our beloved Haligonia in July.
From the press release:
HALIFAX (NOVA SCOTIA) MAY 12, 2009 – Virgin Festival, Canada’s hottest summer music festival, announced today that it’s taking over Halifax’s Citadel Hill on Saturday, July 4, 2009 to an expected throng of 15,000 plus music fans! At a media event today the excitement kicked off with the announcement that the iconic Canadian rock band The Tragically Hip will headline the festival, and will be joined by punk rock legends The Offspring!
Other exciting acts joining The Tragically Hip and The Offspring will be new wave indie specialists Metric, alt rockers Dinosaur Jr., Montréal-based indie favourites Plants and Animals, Hamilton rockers ARKELLS and Newfoundland’s own indie rockers Hey Rosetta! More hot talent will be announced in the coming weeks.
“We’ve wanted to head east for a long time, and I’m thrilled to be bringing Canada’s hottest music festival to Nova Scotia,” announced Richard Branson, Chairman of the Virgin Group. “Like all Virgin Festivals, Nova Scotia will serve up an unforgettable day jam packed with supersonic talent and one-of-a-kind experiences.”
“Virgin Festival Nova Scotia is going to be totally unforgettable,” said Andrew Bridge, director of Virgin Festivals. “We’ve got a lineup that will rock Halifax – with heavyweight acts like The Tragically Hip and The Offspring we’re going to show Halifax what Virgin Festival is all about.”
This year, Virgin Festival Canada will partner with Gillett Entertainment Group (GEG) for Virgin Festival Nova Scotia.
Jacques Aube, Vice President and General Manager, Gillett Entertainment Group added, “We’re excited to be bringing Virgin Festival to Nova Scotia for the first time. Halifax has a vibrant summer scene and tons of music-loving fans. We’re going to knock everyone’s socks off.”
Keep an eye on www.virginfestival.ca/
Virgin Festival Facts
· Five festivals in Five provinces! This year Virgin Festival is going National! In addition to Nova Scotia, Virgin Festival will also be held in Alberta, British Columbia, Quebec and Ontario! Each Festival host city will deliver everything that Virgin Festival is known for: A-list superstar headliners, a genre-busting mix of musical styles, and hot up-and-coming local talent, all at ticket prices that won’t break the bank. For news on all the Canadian Virgin Festivals head to www.virginfestival.ca.
· 300,000 screaming fans! By the end of the summer Virgin Festival Canada is expected to be the fastest growing music festival in Canada with over 300,000 fans.
· Virgin Festival is way more than a concert! While music takes centre stage at Virgin Festival, there’s much more happening than just that. The Festival creates on on-site experience like no other – from interactive displays and contests, a vendor village, beer gardens, special perks for Virgin Mobile customers, and way more – there is always something to keep everyone going while they’re waiting for their fave artist to take the stage.
· Raising funds for Virgin Unite! Virgin Festival also works to raise funds for Virgin Unite – the charitable arm of the Virgin Group that focuses on creating grass roots change and sustainable businesses to make a real difference for people around the world who need it most.
· Keeping the festival green! Another crucial focus for the festival is taking care of the environment. On the path to becoming as carbon-neutral as possible, Virgin Festival will provide recycling on-site, use biodegradable food and drink containers and leverage green energy sources, where possible, to power the music festival.
General ticket sales for one-day and VIP tickets begin Saturday, May 16th at 9 a.m. in person at The Halifax Metro Centre Box Office, Atlantic Superstore and Future Shop (208 Chain Lake Drive), online at www.ticketatlantic.com or www.futureshop.ca and by calling (902) 451-1221. Ticket information is also available at www.virginfestival.ca.
One-day tickets are $75.50 (including all sales taxes, $9.50 Service Charge and a $1 donation to Virgin Unite Canada).
As always, when you’re with Virgin Mobile you move to the front of the line. Virgin Mobile customers can get their hands on Early Bird tickets before anyone else.
Want to put some VIP into your Virgin Festival experience? Kick it up a notch and party like a rock star in the Louder Lounge. This exclusive VIP area is stuffed with comfy lounge chairs, cabanas, drinks, and food to keep you relaxed and fueled up. Plus, you never know who you might rub shoulders with. Plus you get a front of the line entrance to the Festival, shorter washroom line ups, and a Festival merchandise discount. Get all the details at virginfestival.ca. VIP tickets can be yours for $160.50 (including all sales taxes, $9.50 Service Charge, and a $1 donation to Virgin Unite Canada).
About Virgin Mobile
The Virgin Mobile group of companies has attracted more than 12 million customers worldwide. As the No.1 mobile youth network, Virgin Mobile Canada’s mission is to be Canada’s most loved mobile company. Its simpler, better deals offer customers control, flexibility and choice to design mobile packages that truly works for them. J.D. Power and Associates ranked Virgin Mobile highest in customer satisfaction with prepaid wireless service for four years in a row and 91% of customers would recommend Virgin Mobile to a friend.
Virgin Mobile phones are available at more than 4,000 locations with top-up cards available at more than 10,000 locations nationally. Virgin Mobile products can also be purchased online at www.virginmobile.ca or by calling 1-888-999-2321.
Gillett Entertainment Group (GEG) is one of the top entertainment promoters in the world. In 2008, GEG finished in 10th position amongst the top concert promoters around the world and Bell Centre was ranked third in America (according to Pollstar magazine), reaching out to 1.5 million fans thanks to over 638 shows that were presented across Quebec, the Maritimes and Vermont.