1. Kids can be part of an innovative technology initiative in Atlantic Canada that will help students in Grades 1 to 5 with reading. Eyeread is a new technology being developed to assess children’s reading.
As children read text on a computer, laptop, or tablet, an infrared light tracks the movement of their eyes on the page, noting where a reader slows down, goes back to re-read, pauses or skips words. Eyeread software helps children with words they get stuck on while they are reading, and it also generates a report after each session. The report provides information about a child’s reading level, as well as a list of words that the child found challenging to read. Drop by the library to check out this exciting new literacy technology!
2. Earth Hour is the world’s largest movement for action on climate change. During Earth Hour on Saturday from 8:30-9:30, hundreds of millions of people around the world turn off their lights for one hour to support a future where climate change is no longer a threat. So turn out the lights, power down and talk to your kids about why taking action on climate change is important!
3. Everyone’s favourite fluffy bunny will be available for visits at the Mic Mac Mall from Mar 26th – Apr 4th and the Beaver Bank Kinsac CC is hosting a breakfast with the Easter Bunny on Saturday from 9-11am. Breakfast includes: scrambled eggs, hash browns, ham, juice/coffee/tea. Plus have your picture taken with the Easter Bunny and get some treats!
4. The CheerExpo Cheerleading and Dance National Championships is a two day championship for competitive cheerleaders and dancers of all ages. Teams come from all over the Maritimes and beyond to compete for the coveted National title. In addition to medals and championship banners, teams winning their division will receive a bid to compete at The ONE Cheer and Dance Finals in the US and represent Canada. Teams in the Open Dance and Level 5 and 6 Cheerleading divisions compete to win a bid to represent Canada at the World Cheerleading and Dance Championships. The excitement is palpable! Professional sound, lighting, backdrops make the show all the more spectacular with a new team performing every 4 minutes!
5. Sunnyside Mall in Bedford has been transformed into BunnyLand with lots of family fun activities to get you excited for Spring. From March 28th – April 4th kids can have photos taken with the Easter Bunny, listen to Bunny stories in the BunnyLand garden and pick up Bunny snacks. There’s even a tool for parents to sign their kids up for photos and receive a text when the easter Bunny is ready – kiss goodbye to long line-ups.