1. The launch party for Kate Inglis’ latest novel, Flight of the Griffons, will be a seaside event featuring good ships, a good story, and the hooligan-worthy accompaniment of award-winning roots singer-songwriter Old Man Luedecke.
Flight of the Griffons is a YA adventure novel about airborne pirates-turned radical environmentalists who sabotage corporate interests in the name of nature. It’s loud, inventive, and full of heart—with strong maritime ties and plentiful music. Just like the party to usher it into the world. In a live performance drawing from the book, we’ll celebrate what happens when everyone stomps and sings along together—the book, after all, draws from his banjo and the lineage of protest in folk music.
2. On Sunday, head to the Emera Oval in Halifax for the first ever Brigadoon Day! Brigadoon Day is a fantastic opportunity for everyone to learn more about camp and to have some Briga-fun at the Commons! For those interested in learning more about Brigadoon, as well as our campers and families already signed up for camp, come to the Commons for some good ol’ fashioned camp fun!
3. It’s Nature Discovery at the Museum of Natural History on Sunday! It’s a program specially designed for children ages 5 and under and their parents, grandparents or other caregivers. Drop in for hands-on exploration of real Museum objects, discovery activities, and learning about nature through creative play.
4. This year will mark the first time the Kermesse is celebrated during two separate times of the year. The popular flea market and book sale will be held on Saturday from 9am-2pm at Gorsebrook School (corner of Robie and South St) while the annual fun fair will be held later in the year.
5. HRM greenhouses cultivate most of the plants and flowers for HRM parks and open spaces. As part of HRM’s National Public Works Week celebrations, on Saturday you are invited with your family to come and explore their lush greenhouses at 5711 Sackville Street. You can also meet the gardeners and check out our educational displays. Hope to see you there!