With the 2023 IIHF World Junior Ice Hockey Championships coming to the city, Halifax Regional Police (HRP) is providing some tips in relation to the crowds expected in downtown Halifax over the holidays.
HRP will have officers performing traffic control at a number of locations to help keep everyone safe. Please plan ahead and expect delays.
Here are some tips to help everyone safely enjoy the tournament:
- Check the event’s website to ensure you’re familiar with the venue, its location and the amenities it has to offer.
- If possible, take public transportation. The tournament draws large crowds, which causes heavy traffic and may make parking difficult.
- Plan ahead if you’re drinking alcohol or consuming cannabis or other drugs. Never drive impaired. Call a cab, arrange a designated driver or take public transit.
- It is easy for little ones to become lost in the midst of a large crowd. When you arrive, agree on a meeting place in case you get separated.
- Always accompany young children to public washrooms and concession stands.
- Consider carrying an up-to-date photo of your child and make note what they are wearing.
Here’s to a safe and exciting tournament. Go Canada Go!