So you have a teenager in the house like me and they want to do something special with their friends for Valentine’s Day. This isn’t the time to encourage pairing up, as we all know these teen relationships are fragile things. Crushes, dating, etc all navigated within bodies that are going through so many changes, so what do we do? We have encouraged my teen daughter to simply have fun with friends, and group date. My 15 year old is not allowed to solo date and she knows it. So how can she and her friends have fun on Valentine’s Day without breaking the parental bank, or spending all their allowance? Here are some fun frugal ideas.
1. Heart Attacks- have someone you love and adore how about taping little hearts crafted out of construction paper to their door or locker. How about making it anonymous? It is a fun way to say you care.
2. Clay Construction-We had a fun day playing with clay one Valentine’s Day and this was a frugal activity done for less then $10 a person.
3. Plan a potluck – have friends over and have each bring their favorite dessert. Yum.
4. Make it a day of loving others. How about as a group you go to a seniors center and sing to them afterwards you can stop for a cup of hot chocolate together.
5. Something as simple as ice skating can be a fun activity for teens.
6. Playing in the snow, here in Canada by Feb 14th most of the country is covered in snow so how about a day of tobogganing, and snow angels, followed by hot chocolate.
7. A Smores party. Gather your friends for a night of smores, this can be done in a fireplace.
8. A night of karaoke can also be a blast with friends.
9. Love music and dancing, got Just Dance…break it out and have a blast with friends.10. Do an old fashion exchange of valentine’s cards, remember in childhood how everyone in your class got a card no matter what? Gather up your friends and make simple cards to encourage each other. (This one is great for many a youth group).
Got teens in your house how would they want to celebrate with their friends without breaking the bank?