Christmas is just a week away which means it’s the time of year when people either forget or stop caring about how to be healthy. Yes there are lots of parties, family gatherings, open houses and events to which most of have turkey, gravy, stuffing, sweets, wine, beer, more turkey and lots of peer pressure, but does that mean you should just not care about your health over the Holidays?
Most people gain 5-10lbs over the Holidays and people use the above reasons as excuses to do so. The thing is that that’s all they are, excuses. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to sit here and say “don’t indulge” or “put down those sweets”, but what I will say is that you don’t need to eat everything and anything you can get your hands on for 14 days straight.
If you’re looking for ways to be successful over the Holidays, here are a few tips.
- Give yourself a cheat day or a few cheat meals over the Holidays instead of going crazy for 8 days straight
- Eat clean outside of your “Holiday cheat meals”. Lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats, no sugars and a small amount of carbs
- If you’re going to a Holiday party and you don’t want to eat the deep fried snacks or the chocolate sweets and you’re scared you may be tempted, eat a full meal before you go, don’t go hungry. Going to a party hungry is just asking for trouble under temptation.
- Get your butt to the gym. My gym, Just Fitness, is only closed for 3 days during the holidays so you don’t have the excuse “the gym isn’t open”.
- DO NOT say “I’ll start in the New Year”. This is the biggest cop-out that exists. Why put off to tomorrow what you can do today? Whether you’re a gym rat or want to get healthy for the first time, being active, eating well and being healthy is the BIGGEST way to prevent putting on Holiday weight!
Don’t stress too much about your Holiday eating habits but also don’t let them get out of control. Enjoy your time with your family and friends, but also keep what you’re putting into your body in the back of your mind.