The snow and cold weather has been forcing us all indoors lately. And you know that that means. Germs. Since we started sending our kids to school and daycare it seems like there is always one bug or another working its way through our house.
And I bet that is true for your house as well. Because it seems like I can never stay fully healthy for long, I felt it was essential that I write down my survival tips for how to survive with the dreaded ’rhinopharyngitis vir’, or as it is more commonly referred to, ‘A man cold’. I want to help men and their significant others everywhere deal with this dreadful illness.
Definition: The man cold is a debilitating virus that only affects the Y chromosome. Male children seem to be generally immune until they reach puberty.
Symptoms: Your head aches, your throat is scratchy, your skin feels icky, your nose is both stuffy and runny and you are running a terrifying 98.7 degree fever. If you or your loved one has one or more of these symptoms you may be suffering from the man cold. But take heed if you follow these 5 simple steps you will be fine.
How To Survive:
1. Don’t Do Any Kind Of Work Or Activity: I don’t want to scare you but your life is being drained away as we speak. Every movement and every action that you take is stealing energy your body needs to survive. Do not get off the sofa or out of bed. Each step you take weakens you.
2. Sigh, Grunt, And Groan: In the all to likely scenario that you DO have to do some kind of activity you need to make your every movement as audibly noticeable as possible. When you stand up you should sound like you are dead lifting hundreds of pounds. When sitting down you should sound like Atlas resting the earth off his shoulders.
3. Be As Grouchy As Possible: You probably have heard the old saying kindness never killed anybody? This is not true with the man cold. Being warm and inviting tells the virus you are a kind person and it should stick around. Conversely every time you get grouchy you tell the virus to get out of your system. Also as a side benefit your grouchiness should keep other potential victims away.
4. Surround Yourself With Used Kleenex: The people around you will sadly forget just how serious a man cold can be. Keeping a large pile of used Kleenex around you is a reminder that you are near death and are in need of their constant compassion
5. Ask For As Much Help As Possible: Guys I know we don’t normally like to ask for help. We are a tough breed that likes to do things ourselves. But this is serious. You must ask for help with everything. Is the remote control too far away, ask someone to pass it to you. Is your throat a little scratchy, ask for someone to make you tea. It is too hot ask someone to open a window for you. Did your blanket fall off your feet ask someone to pick it up for you. There is no task to small or too unimportant to ask for help with.
The man cold is nothing to sneeze at. But you can make it through this. Just remember it’s not just a cold, it is a man cold.
Christopher Drew is the pastor at Sackville Baptist Church. He is the father for three and the husband of one. He is a self professed geek and gamer. Read more about family, faith, and geekery at http://ModernManOfTheCloth.com
You might also like...
We’ve got a spring symphony, babies, music and babies (we’ve got a special on babies!), and an outdoor adventures for tots. Really, this...