RAINMEN 112, AIR STRIKERS 106
Rainmen Record: 4W-1L
The Air Strikers got an early jump on the Rainmen in the first quarter of the game, putting together a 31-24 first quarter lead. But the Rainmen wasted no time closing the gap. Halifax narrowed down Dayton’s lead to just one point at the half. Taliek Brown and the recently-acquired centre, James “Boo” Jackson, both had 9 points at the mid point.
Dayton kept pace with the Rainmen in the second half, keeping the game close in the third and fourth quarters. With just over a minute remaining in the final quarter, Dayton had got the game to within three points. But with a few key free throws made by both Josh Dollard and James “Boo” Jackson in the closing seconds, the Rainmen were able to hold off the Air Strikers with a 112-106 Rainmen win.
Mike Mercer had a strong night, scoring 18 points in just 23 minutes for the Rainmen. Mercer scored 14 of his 18 points in the second half. Rainmen point guard, Taliek Brown, was perfect from the field, making 7 for 7 from the floor. He finished with 17 points and 5 rebounds. Tajuan Porter had a season-high 12 points, making four threes from behind the arc.
Some Key Stats:
- Glaring Stat of the Night: Halifax had 20 turnovers in this game compared to Dayton’s four turnovers. How did Halifax win the game with all those turnovers? Well, they also made 10 threes (out of 23 attempted…..23 attempted threes!)
- Rainmen Player of the Game (based on the boxscore): It had to be James “Boo” Jackson with his 16 points (7-12) and 17 boards
- Shoutouts to the Air Strikers: Quade Milum – 23 points (10-14), 5 rebounds
- The Rebound Battle: Halifax won the battle on the boards 59-36
- Three Point Struggles: Dayton’s Nathaniel Miles was horrible from behind the three point line, making only 1 of 10
- Rainmen DNP-CD: Kavon Jones was a DNP-CD for Wednesday night’s matchup, he should be ready to play for Sunday’s game
- The Standings: The Rainmen move to 4-1 and sit at the top of the PBL East Division
Next up, the Rainmen are still on the road and have a rematch against the Kentucky Bluegrass Stallions on Sunday!