I remember this event from last year and being sad I missed it. And as it goes, this year I won't be able to make it again (O, woe is me, heh), but I hope some of you can get out there and have lots of fun with this year's Parks Day on Saturday!
Canada's Parks Day is a nation-wide event and is an opportunity for us all to enjoy our amazing national, provincial and community parks. Here in the HRM, there are a number of special events taking place. I've listed them below, including events that are within a reasonable driving distance of the HRM. For details of other events, check out the national Parks Day website here.
- Nature – A Learning Experience, 10am-3pm, Sat July 18, Dollar Lake Provincial Park, Eastern Shore. Join us at our booth on the sports field near the boat launch and have your nature questions answered by our members. Come and enjoy the hands-on fly tying and fly casting demonstrations. Map reading, compass, and GPS will be available. A strictly supervised archery range will be set up for the kids. The very popular "I Spy" contest will be conducted again this year for small children. There will be a limited wildlife display at our booth. Sponsored by the Halifax Wildlife Association.
- Art in the Park, 1-3pm, Sat July 18 (rain date Sun July 19), Taylor Head Provincial Park, Eastern Shore. Make art on the beach from found objects mostly from nature or what has come in with the tides. This year, in keeping with the theme of astronomy, we will use constellations to inspire our creations. The art is left for others to enjoy and to disappear back into the landscape. This is an easy and fun event for the whole family.
- Porters Lake Family Fun Day, 1-4pm, Sat July 18 (rain date Sun July 19), Porters Lake Provincial Park, Eastern Shore. Fun and games for the whole family at Porters Lake Provincial Park. There will be face painting, wildlife identification, survival course and, of course, a barbeque and cotton candy! Other events to be determined. Sponsored by the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources.
- Park Appreciation Day, 2-4pm, Sat July 18 (rain date July 25), Musquodoboit Valley Provincial Park, Eastern Shore. Lots of fun for the entire family. There will be lots of games for the kids, wilderness appreciation tours, games and prizes, as well as a barbeque. Sponsored by the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources.
- Family Fun Day at Dollar Lake, 2-4pm, Sat July 18 (rain date Say July 25), Dollar Lake Provincial Park, Eastern Shore. Potato sack races, egg races, face painting, a family barbeque, nature scavenger hunt, washer toss, and horse shoes are just a few of the family fun events that will take place at Dollar Lake Provincial Park. Prizes will be awarded. Bring the whole family for a day of fun and excitement at the park. Sponsored by the Department of Natural Resources.
- 9th Annual Sand Castle Competition, 2-4pm, Sat July 18, Rissers Beach, South Shore. Bring the whole family, a group of friends, or the office gang for some fun building in the sand. Open to all ages. There will be prizes awarded. Please register on site and don't forget your building/digging tools! Sponsored by the Municipality of the District of Lunenburg Recreation Department.
- Scavenger Hunt, Washer Toss, and Barbeque, 10am-3pm, Sat July 18, The Islands, South Shore. There will be a scavenger hunt for the children followed by a washer tournament for all ages. A barbeque with hot dogs, pop, and ice cream will be held for all participants. Bring the whole family. Sponsored by the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources.
- Smileys Family Fun Day, 11am-2pm, Sat July 18, Smileys Provincial Park, near Windsor. A day of fun for the whole family at Smileys Provincial Park. Includes a soap slide, scavenger hunt, hay rides, piñatas, face painting, races, displays, arts and crafts, a barbeque and much more! This year's theme will be astronomy. Sponsored by the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources.
If you go, make sure you have lots of fun for me! 🙂