Claim damages caused by Phoenix: General compensation for damages for former employees

**** Canada Government Release

Claim damages caused by Phoenix: General compensation for damages for former employees

The Government recognizes that employees have been impacted, either directly or indirectly, by the implementation of the Phoenix pay system and has reached an agreement with a number of bargaining agents to compensate employees for damages.

Eligible former employees

Eligible current and former employees who worked in an organization using Phoenix between April 1, 2016 and March 31, 2020 are entitled to the compensation whether they experienced pay problems or not, provided they are eligible as per the terms of the agreement on damages caused by the Phoenix pay system.

The agreement provides current employees with general compensation for damages in the form of additional leave. This is for financial and/or non-financial damages, including but not limited to interest, general stress, aggravation and lost time.

If, as a current employee, you did not receive additional leave credits over the summer of 2019, contact your HR specialist.

As a former employee, you can request a payment equivalent to the value of the additional leave allocated to current employees, provided you are eligible to the compensation under the Phoenix damages agreement.

Similarly, if you are the legal representative of a former employee or represent the estate of a deceased employee, you may make a claim on their behalf.
If you worked at least one day in each of the fiscal years covered by the agreement, you can request a payment equivalent to:

  • 2 days of leave for fiscal year 2016‑2017
  • 1 day of leave for fiscal year 2017‑2018
  • 1 day of leave for fiscal year 2018‑2019
  • 1 day of leave for fiscal year 2019‑2020

The agreement became official on June 12, 2019. If you left the public service during 2019, please see the frequently asked questions.

How former employees can submit a claim

Before you begin, you may want to consider that:

  • you can only make a claim once for any given fiscal year
  • your payment will be calculated using the last rate of pay shown in the Phoenix pay system at the time your claim is processed

Therefore, if you have any outstanding pay increases that are owed to you, you may wish to wait until the increases have been processed in Phoenix and paid out before submitting your claim.

Determine if you should file an electronic claim or a paper claim:

Contact us

If you have questions regarding this claims process, please contact:

Public enquiries
Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
Toll-free: 1-877-636-0656

Note: If you are making an enquiry via email, please include a phone number so that we can reach you in case we need more information. Please do not include protected information such as your date of birth or social insurance number (SIN).

We may contact you by email to get more information either to start or continue processing your application, or to ask for more documents. We will always reference your claim number when we do.

For more information on how to protect your personal information, please visit the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.


(Found ) Missing person: Help the RCMP find​ Colton MacDonald​

Man charged after fleeing Police – Bedford