Here is a simple makeover project I tackled this week.
Check out this gaudy black shellac kidney-shaped coffee table — straight from the 1970’s, complete with gold trim.
I picked it up for $9.99 at Value Village. What a steal! Even though it was beat up, I could see the potential.
Here are the steps to this makeover project:1. thorough clean with a damp cloth, wipe dry
2. place on a large drop cloth, in a well ventilated area (outside is best)
3. sand down the bubbles in the table top until flush with the rest of the table top
4. clean again, with a damp cloth and wipe dry
5. paint with awesome flat black paint left over from another project. (Note: normally, I would recommend priming it first but I used Tremclad rust paint, which sticks to just about anything!)
6. Let dry. Paint second coat of black paint on table top and let dry.
7. Volia – you are done!
In the spirit of upcycling, I gave this old, beat up coffee table a whole new life. It looks fantastic in my living room. It’s amazing to me what a good coat of black paint can do!
And, of course, you’d never find such a hefty, solid, interesting coffee table like this for 10 bucks!
For more about rouge, visit www.littlered.ca or check out past blogs at www.justalittlerouge/blogspot.com