Halifax Regional Police have charged a man with firearms offences after the search of a vehicle in Halifax last week.
On January 5 at approximately 2 p.m., members of the Drugs and Guns Unit of the Integrated Criminal Investigations Division along with members of the Emergency Response Team, stopped a vehicle on Harlington Crescent and arrested the driver in relation to an ongoing investigation.
Investigators seized a loaded firearm and ammunition from the vehicle.
Thomas Joseph Smith, 33, is scheduled to appear in Halifax provincial court today to face charges of:
- Possession of a firearm or prohibited or restricted weapon obtained by crime
- Possession firearm in vehicle
- Possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized
- Unauthorized possession of firearm
- Storing a firearm or restricted weapon contrary to regulations
- Unsafe storage of firearm
- Operation of a conveyance while prohibited
- Failure to comply with conditions of a release order (x3)
- Possession of a firearm contrary to a court order