Sure, I love the Emmys themselves. But I love watching the red carpet even more, and this year my favorite TV stars didn’t disappoint. There was an awful lot of red, but there were many beautiful dresses and I ended up with more Best Dressed celebrities than Worst. So, let’s start with the bad, shall we?
12. Maria Bello – The weird pattern on this dress did her no favors.
11. Jane Krakowski – Yet another funny lady who doesn’t know how to dress. The oompa loompa tan and bleached hair are just not working for her.
9. Paula Abdul – I don’t know whether to blame wonky plastic surgery or a bad fit here, but something’s off.
8. Olivia Munn – Oh, man! I really like Olivia, this color is beautiful, and she’s smokin’ hot. But this gown is ill-fitting in all the worst ways.
7. Julianna Margulies – The top of her dress looked like a space ship. I’m pretty sure we were all just waiting for her to take off to Mars so we can have a shot at her hot husband.
6. Amy Poehler – Oh, Amy. Um, beautiful color? But super-tight and super-shiny really does no one justice. This looks like a fancy futuristic outfit. Did you arrive of Julianna Margulies’ space ship?
5. Paz de la Huerta – Paz is generally a mess, so I’m actually just surprised she has a dress on. I am not surprised that she looks like a slutty extra from The Walking Dead.
4. Drew Barrymore – What’s going on here, Drew? Did you make your gown from various draperies? Because a brocade turtleneck with a fringed miniskirt and longer sheer gown is a bold choice.
3. Taraji P. Henson – This is a very sparkly sack.
2. Heidi Klum – Was this inspired by cauliflower?
1. Gwyneth Paltrow – Bare. Midriff. Enough said.
That’s a pretty dress, Padma, but I bet from far away you looked naked.
Is this from the 80s? Is that vintage now?
|The women of Charlie’s Angels|
In particular, I had higher expectations for you, Minka Kelly.
|Aimee Teegarden, Kelly Osbourne, Jenna Ushkowitz|
Speaking of higher expectations, all of these women could have done so much better. I’m pretty sure I saw Jenna’s dress on Saturday, only it was part of a Lady Gaga costume at the Halloween store.
|Julia Stiles, Jennifer Carpenter|
Look, it’s the women of Dexter! Kind of literally, if rumors are to be believed. Both dresses are pretty bland, but if it’s any consolation Jennifer, I think you won.
|Rashida Jones, Julianne Hough|
These ladies were pretty in pink, but kind of look like they’re about to attend prom.
If I were on a period drama, I’d want to wear something modern and sexy. Not a dress you’d wear to a fancy 1984 funeral.
|Nina Dobrev, Kerry Washington, Kate Winslet|
Just three of the many, many red dresses we saw on Sunday night. They all look fine, but just did not stand out from the crowd. (Also, when/why did Kerry Washington get so skinny?)
|Katie Holmes, Melissa McCarthy, Jane Lynch|
Now these ladies got the color right, but not the dress. Katie looks like she just came from the gym, put her ill-fitting dress on backwards and threw on a belt. Melissa’s dress was made from a material that looked wrinkled, and Jane’s strapless gown wasn’t nearly as flattering as the ones she wore while hosting.
|Adrianne Palicki, Tami Taylor|
My favorite women from FNL. Sure, they’re both in ubiquitous red. But Adrianne’s dress says “Who cares if Wonder Woman didn’t work out? I’m here to remind you that I’m incredibly beautiful and was on Friday Night Lights.” And I just love Tami Taylor.
|Ariel Winter, Jayma Mays, Zooey Deschanel (with Will Arnett)|
Pretty in pink done right. Ariel Winter is super young, looks beautiful and, I think, age appropriate. I bet a lot of people will hate both Jayma and Zooey’s dresses, but I loved them. Zooey’s had pockets! I love dresses with pockets.
|Naya Rivera, Evan Rachel Wood|
I don’t always love black, but both of these women were thisclose to making my top ten list. I think this is the best Naya has ever looked, so sexy and understated. And Evan is just epitomizing old Hollywood glamor.
|Cat Deeley, Emily Blunt|
Again, these gowns almost ended up in the top ten. Both beautiful, but just not quite my favorites.
|Dianna Agron, Loretta Devine|
OK, we can all agree that the color of Dianna Agron’s vintage gown is breathtaking, right? And from there, we’ll all disagree on the cut. Some loved it, more hated it. I agree it was ill-fitting, but I still thought she looked gorgeous. As for Loretta Devine, I loved the color and style of this gown on her – but I could have done with less cleavage.